Home Forums General Star Wars Discussion What source do we have that Snoke is actually ancient?

last updated by  DarthGenius 7 months ago
8 voices
17 replies
  • Author
    Darth_JarJar
    Participant

So in his videos, SWT always mentions that Snoke is ancient (like pre-prequels Old Republic Ancient), and I said this to a friend who then asked me for proof/sources.

So I went searching for sources, and I came upon this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/50cx6b/where_is_it_said_snoke_is_ancient/

Basically, someone asked a similar question but the thread is a year old, so I was wondering where SWT is getting his sources/definitive proof that Snoke is ancient, or if this is just a very plausible theory which we’ve all assumed to be true?

Echo (Mod)

Snoke said he had seen the fall of the Empire. Judging by his deformed figure, it’s definitely just an “obvious theory”.
    As well as being incredibly powerful.. power builds up over time, and his power would have taken a long, long time.
    Would be best if he was over 1,000 years old. Maybe even older. All signs point to him being some kind of ancient Sith sorcerer, but the route could change.

Good call in pointing this out. 🙂

Darth_JarJar
    Participant

Thanks dude! Yeah that Reddit post mentions the whole “seeing the rise and fall of the empire” but that would only make him as old as 70 years old.

So as far as we know, he doesn’t even have to be from the Old Republic, he could have just as easily been a character from the prequel era.

We just hope he will be super ancient and powerful!

Echo (Mod)

Definitely! It would also make more sense making him ancient, it seems he has been hiding for a long time. Sidious had been looking for a certain dark presence.. maybe that dark presence was Snoke all along.
    I feel like they’ll drag these kind of theories out until episode 9 for shock factor – and to just mess with the fans. 😀

Evan Winkler
    Participant

I think the fact that he knows so much and is a lot like every other ancient sith in legends and in the expanded star wars universe

Dave
    Participant

I don’t know if there’s any real “source” for the information. It seems like he is simply so powerful that he must have been important at some point prior to episode 7, and the 30 year gap between 6 and 7 just isn’t big enough to argue that Snoke came about during that time period (I’m pretty sure he’s more than 30 years old) so since we haven’t seen him in any of the other films we have to assume that he came into being before them. In fact, since you didn’t hear any mention of him during the prequels it’s very likely that he existed (and was defeated) before the time that the jedi started keeping records. That makes him extremely ancient, probably even before any of the novels about the old republic.

Darth_JarJar
    Participant

Those are good points but none of them definitively confirm that he is ancient. For example, it seems like he’s very powerful, but we haven’t really seen how powerful he is, we just assume it. Also, he could have been from the time of the previous movies but remained hidden, I mean, the galaxy is a large place it’s not like we know every powerful being in the SW canon universe. Or the writers could have decided to write him in retroactively, it wouldn’t be the first time we’ve seen it happen in Star Wars.

DarthGenius
    Participant

Can we honestly assume he means the Empire started by Palpatine.
    There have been other Empires in the SW universe.
    I know you will throw the whole non-canon, but Disney has not discredited all of the expanded universe.
    It did so mainly for anything post Episode VI.
    Luke went looking for the First Jedi Temple for a reason, it may mean that Snoke is older than we assume and has been asleep for centuries yet having his Force spirit capable of sensing things int he universe.

Darth_JarJar
    Participant

I think that might be reading a bit too much in between the lines. To assume that the empire he’s referring to isn’t THE Empire is a bit much IMO. And while yes Disney has pulled from the EU before, I think fans use that as a crutch a little too much. It’s safer to assume that they won’t or that they’ll merely use the EU for inspiration.

Echo (Mod)

They’re definitely taking inspiration from the EU, thankfully, not just ditching the entire story altogether.
    They will also most likely be re-canonizing the Old Republic era piece by piece in the next few years. Shouldn’t take any longer than that as it doesn’t interfere with the current storyline.. or maybe it does, and that’s why they’re waiting for the sequel trilogy to be complete.. hmm..

Anyway, with that, I would love if Kylo was searching for ancient Sith artefacts in TLJ for knowledge and power. Technically Luke has done the same, but (most likely) only for knowledge, and not power, so it would fit the story. One can hope.

The route they’re taking at the moment seems alright so far. 🙂

DarthGenius
    Participant

It was mainly a hope that Disney decides to keep some of the original EU.
    I think the real question to ask ourselves, is how old is Snoke?
    To have seen the rise and fall of the Empire, it would not have made him that old.
    Obi-Wan has in a way seen it as well from my POV.
    But if he can use Force essence to gain power and youth, in a way, then he could have hidden in the Unknown Regions for millenia.
    Giving Disney full possibilities for more ‘prequel’ movies or other forms of media.

Darth Knacker
    Participant

Just hope that Disney disna’ ruin it with child friendly nonsense

Echo (Mod)

@Darth Knacker

They wont, hopefully. They try to aim for all audiences, and there are probably more teenagers – adults who enjoy Star Wars more than children. It wont be super dark, but it also wont be super child-friendly.
    The darker side of Star Wars is generally the most interesting, so the Sith in general are pretty dark.. we had Darth Vader and Darth Sidious as main Sith protagonists, and we now have Snoke and Kylo. Snoke seems to be much more delved into the dark side than we have ever seen before. He’s probably more tactical in his abilities as well, than what Sidious was.

Not sure whether I like that or not though. Sidious was always the most powerful, and they seem to be belittling him slightly as they build Snoke’s character. (That’s if Snoke isn’t Sidious himself, but that’s very unlikely).

Revan the Butcher
    Participant

Everything I was gonna say is already mentioned but take a look at this:

Snoke is not Darth Plagueis, but he is a significant ancient evil. from starwarsspeculation

Sidious knew that there’s an unknown power in the unknown regions that was calling to him
    I’d love to have Sidious and Snoke contact each other some way. It’d make the story better in a certain point of view.

DarthGenius
    Participant

Thatlst line makes me think that the idea of Snoke being some kind of Whill that reject that order is a possibility… even if it is not necessarily Disney material…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.