Home Forums Submit Your Star Wars Theory Theories regarding the origin of Rey

last updated by  DarthGenius 8 months ago
13 voices
27 replies
  • Author
    Dave
    Participant

Hey guys, I just joined the Star Wars theory group and I wanted to start a forum about a topic that really hasn’t had many good theories formed about it yet. Who is Rey?

Star Wars is all about people’s lineage, so she has to be somehow linked to an existing character in Star Wars. I’ve heard theories about how she could be a Skywalker, a Solo, a Kenobi, or even a Palpatine, but none with any real evidence to support them.

Before we start though, I’d like to give my personal theory:

Luke, as many people have theorized, dabbles in the dark side of the force. I believe that he has actually gone so deep that he explored Darth Plagueis’s power to create life. This could be where Rey came from (most of you are familiar with the legend that Plagueis originally caused Anakin to be born). This would make her a sort of light side version of Anakin, one that Luke may not even know about. Also, we know from the aftermath novels that Palpatine had visited Jakku, and this might have some connection, since we know that Palpatine must also have been interested in that power.

Let me know what you think of my theory, or about any theories you might have.

I look forward to the discussion. May the Force be with us.

Not a theory but if they tie her to Palpatine I’ll be disappointed.

Ahsoka Tano
    Participant

Personnaly I would love to see Rey connected to Sidious or even Darth Plagueis ! But unfortunately I think Rey will just be a random character :/

Kevin
    Participant

Well, can easily try to figure out her mother since isn’t there only like about 5 or so human type female characters of merit in the cannon universe? Then just a matter of who do we think got together with them. Or… Born of the force to keep it simple.

Echo (Mod)

I feel like Rey being born from the force, like Anakin, is the most likely thing at the moment. A lot of people theorise her being the daughter of Luke, but it just doesn’t make sense as it’s not possible, unless Mara Jade suddenly appears in the movie (highly unlikely) so..

A lot of people also theorise her being the daughter of Han and Leia. Not sure what to think of that, pretty unlikely…

Rey being related to Sidious seems to be very possible as well. Similar fighting styles, Sidious’ voice being heard in her vision, along with Kenobi — which brings that up, too: Kenobi, although again, it’s unlikely.

I really don’t want her to be some random person more powerful than everyone, especially Luke. But we’ll just have to see how they fit the “correct theory” in the movie. They’ll most likely drag it out until Episode 9.

Thanks for making this thread, theorising who Rey is and who her parents could be is fun. šŸ™‚

Dave
    Participant

I feel like most of the explaining will probably happen in episode 8 so that they can have a big finale for the trilogy in #9. I feel like it’s pretty likely that she’s some kind of force conception simply because she’s the most powerful force user we’ve ever seen (defeating a sith lord with no training at all!)
    Nothing in Star Wars is random though, it may seem that way, but sooner or later it all turns out to be destiny. Don’t worry, I’m pretty sure she’s related to someone.

Echo (Mod)

Yes, most likely.

She was also able to defeat Kylo because he had been injured beforehand, whilst running after Rey with that said injury, and just killed his own father.. so there were a lot of factors. He isn’t a Sith Lord, he only uses the dark side with no title, although still being pretty powerful. With that, Disney are definitely setting something up for the Grey Jedi area.

Echo, I have to disagree on your assumption about Luke being the father isn’t possible. Thirty years have passed between RotJ and TFA. Rey is 19 so there is a 10-11 year gap to which Luke could have met someone and conceived a child. Who knows, he could have gotten a hold of some death sticks and forget it ever happened.

Echo (Mod)

Hahaha, hopefully the deathsticks will make their return!

I understand your view on the theory, but I still don’t think it would fit. It’s certainly possible based on timeline, but bringing in a random new character like ‘Hey everyone this is Luke’s partner and mother of Rey who we have never spoken of or suggested anywhere in the Star Wars lore so you wont really care about her all that much!’ (unless they canonize Mara Jade with a shock reveal at the last second; as I said in a previous post, unlikely) wouldn’t really cut it.
    Of course, they could introduce the character, whether they’re dead or alive, but plot wise it just wouldn’t fit the story well.

No doubt, it’s a good theory, I like it myself, but it just doesn’t seem right. I’m most likely thinking about it all wrong though, if you have an idea about how they would introduce Luke’s possible partner, I’d love to know!

Well they never speak of Padme in the OT if memory serves so Iā€™m not sure it needs to be spelled out in detail. Maybe a quick reference that gets fleshed out in a Luke film set right after RotJ?

DarthGenius
    Participant

Well I remember an interview with Daisy for Episode VII where she confirms that they asked she keep her accent, whereas John needed to sound ‘American’.
    If we go through the major characters of the series up until this point, there are not that many with ‘English’ accents. This may provide an idea of her lineage.
    But we must not forget that Lucas’ idea was for the movies to be about the Skywalkers.
    This can still be by having Rey be an outsider but keeping Luke or Kylo alive at the end of Episode IX.

My point of view for the fact she won the duel with Kylo is that she may have dipped somewhat in the dark. This may explain he style resembling that of Plageuis for a moment. As well, we have no idea what kind of training Ben/Kylo had before maybe lightsaber dueling was not among them. Kylo is also shown to be very conflicted internally, making him unable to be fully using his dark side.

I just hope that Rey’s lineage is not just a rehash of the Chosen One again and she and Kylo get a story all their own… unless this is meant to be a continuation of Luke’s.

Dave
    Participant

I considered Rey being Luke’s daughter as a legitimate possibility for a long time, but I eventually decided that it wouldn’t really work in the movie. The reason is very simple: most of the plot exposition will most likely come in TLJ, and there’s a lot of questions that need answering (who is Snoke?, who is Rey?, why is Luke hiding?, what happened to the Jedi order?, etc.). The fact is that even though this will be the longest movie yet in the series you can still only do a limited amount of explaining since this will be an action/adventure movie, not just a Q&A session. The reason why I don’t feel like Rey is Luke’s daughter is because if she were then it would create a whole bunch of new questions that need to be answered within the movie (who was her mother?, did Luke know about her?, why was she on Jakku?, why would Luke leave his daughter with no clue to his whereabouts?, etc.). They simply won’t have enough time to handle all of those new questions without leaving the audience feeling confused and disoriented. For that reason I have to rule out the Luke’s daughter idea, unless of course someone can come up with a way to do it while keeping the consequential increase in questions small.

DarthAnakin (Mod Memer)

Yes it would be quite interesting to see that Rey was created by the force. But when u said that Rey would be created to be on the light side, yes but Anakin was on the light side when he was created too, but he still turned? So i am not sure what u mean exactly? So could this mean Rey will turn too?

Darth_JarJar
    Participant

@DarthAnakin I think he’s referring to how Anakin was created from the force by Darth Plagueis, so he was created by the dark side of the force. Although, I don’t think this ever meant he was inherently evil, he was just always a pure force being, just nutral. It was his decisions that shaped where he went.

Dave
    Participant

I think that because Anakin was created by Darth Plagueis with the Dark Side he was inherently destined for the Dark Side of the force, and he fulfilled his destiny. But if Rey was a similar situation except created by the Light Side then she would be as strong with the light as Anakin was with the Dark…

from a certain point of view.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.