October 28, 2017 at 6:06 pm #3713
I’ve only seen this theory pop-up once before on you-tube but I think there is something to it. I have just read the new book ‘Phasma’ and feel compelled to chime in and share with you 11 points as to why I think REY is FREY and possibly even Phasma’s niece. I’ll start with five year old Frey:
1. On the planet Parnassos there exists a child named Frey and according to the ‘Scyre’ clan Frey is special because she reached the age of five. After a Con-Star nuclear mining accident, a world-wide nuclear meltdown produced radiation sickness and much of the population died off. Adults were unable to have kids and if they did, the children never reached the age of five. That is until Frey was born.
2. Frey was the girl who lived!
3. Turns out Phasma, along with her brother Keldo, grew up on Parnassos and is from the Scyre clan as well. This makes sense because Rey and Phasma have the same dialect (English accents).
4. On Parnassos, the ‘Claw’ clan wanted Frey, the clan’s leader knew she was valuable and they would use her for nefarious purposes. Phasma knew this, so when the Claw clan tried to snatch the toddler, Phasma saved Frey’s life.
5. Saving Frey’s life was the only act of kindness Phasma ever carried out, so you might say Phasma had a soft-spot for Frey, being her Aunt.
6. Phasma always wanted off the god-forsaken planet of Parnassos and when Hux crash lands, Hux and Phasma team up and make a deal to get Phasma off the planet. Later, Frey’s mother dies (who had a Relationship with Keldo) and Phasma agrees to take Frey aboard with Hux into space. Frey had just turned 5 years old at this point.
7. On board, Phasma clutches Frey’s hand tightly as she screams and cries, uncannily similar to Rey being dropped off on Jakku into the clutches of the scrap dealer.
8. Drop the ‘F’ and her name is REY.
9. Turns out, red storm-trooper Captain Cardinal, captures a resistance spy and aboard the Star Destroyer he receives this information from the spy. As they talk, he reminisces about the little girl, Frey, and remembers her nickname—Warcry. He even remembered her identification number—UV-8855 (akin to Finn’s number). Frey must have been special for Cardinal to recall her I.D. number off the top of his head. Cardinal said he saw her graduate from the First Order training. Shortly after that Frey mysteriously dies in a training exercise. I believe he is lying to the spy here because according to the book, his head fell into his hands and his hands started to shake. Signs of mental anguish covering up what really happened to Frey.
10. In an interview with Cailey Fleming who played young Rey, the actress was asked “What are you wearing in your film scene?” She replied, “War clothes.” This also makes sense because Frey was from Phasma’s Scyre clan, a war-like tribe that had constant skirmishes with the Claw clan. Yes indeed, WAR clothes worn by WARCRY who CRIED very loudly? Hmmmmm.
11. On Jakku, when Rey is talking to BB-8, she said “I’m waiting for my family…they’ll return one day.” She didn’t say her Mom or Dad. This is important because I think she could be referencing her ‘Clan’ to pick her up—the Scyre clan. Rey wants to get back to her own people!
In conclusion, I believe FREY/REY never graduated from the First Order training at all and never died. Cardinal and Phasma hated each other and Cardinal knew Phasma probably had a soft-spot for Frey. Cardinal was not the murderous type so I think he simply took Frey out of Phasma’s life forever and dropped her off on Jakku. (or got somebody else to do it). Cardinal knew Jakku well. He most likely knew the nasty scrap-dealer as well and put FREY/REY in his charge. Cardinal had the means and power to carry out this plan fast and later cover up Frey’s so-called death.
One other point I’d like to stress here is I’m a big fan of the Rey Kenobi theory, so could Keldo have been be a Kenobi? KELDO KENOBI? Has a nice ring to it, wouldn’t you say?
Please let me know what you think of this theory?
GregOctober 29, 2017 at 2:56 am #3735
DarthGeniusParticipantPoints: 127Rank: Jedi Master
It does have a few good points, but the missing link for me is that it fails to explain how Rey seems to remember that she has a family but not her name.
It seems to big a coincidence that her ‘name’ is so similar to that of the pilot’s helmet she wears in TFA.
Do we have a confirmed timeline point of when this book, but more particularly these events, take place?
Plus Kenobi was not from Parnassos…October 29, 2017 at 5:35 am #3736
Yes, you bring up some good counter points and it’s hard to nail down the exact timeline, that said the book ‘Phasma’ does mention Hux and Phasma meeting with Kylo Ren onboard.
It’s also worth noting that Cardinal held Kylo in high regard and the adolescent teenager seemed to be well established on the Star Cruiser. FREY/REY and Kylo would have been onboard together, albeit just for a short period of time. So if Rey was 5 or 6 years old, Kylo would have been 15 or 16 years old (max). And because Kylo was chummy with Cardinal he could have easily found out about the special girl (who survived past age five on Parnassos) brought on board before she mysteriously vanished.
Yes, Obiwan Kenobi was not from Parnassos however Kenobi theorists would argue that his next-of-kin could have visited there.
And as far as her name goes, yes, it is strange that she can’t remember her original name, maybe she was told to come up with another name to protect her. The direct translation of the name on her helmet is actually RAEH, so to me its not too much of a stretch where her original name could easily have been Frey.October 29, 2017 at 11:36 am #3738
Roger, RogerParticipantPoints: 6Rank: Jedi Padawan
If she takes Frey onboard Hux’s ship and meets Kylo Ren on that ship then the timeline doesn’t match up at all… unless they plan on messing with the timeline big time by retconning a lot of pre-established canon.
Bloodline takes place 5-6 years prior to TFA and at that point, Ben is still with Luke doing whatever it is they’re doing, he hasn’t turned yet. That means these particular events in Phasma must take place less than 5 years before TFA. This Frey girl had just turned 5 but Rey is 19 in TFA, so even if Phasma happens RIGHT after Bloodline, Rey could not be any younger than 14. It just doesn’t add up.
It’s interesting though.October 29, 2017 at 6:12 pm #3764
Yes, the ‘Bloodline’ timeline is cannon making Kylo Ren 23 or 24 years old. He has not turned and is still hanging out with Luke. That would make Rey 13 or 14 years old on Jakku, but sometimes these books can overlap. Also the timeline of ‘Phasma’ jumps back and fourth quite a lot. I think the Phasma novel is more of a side-by-side timeline between ‘Bloodline and TFA.
I’ve already stated that Hux, Phasma and Kylo meet onboard the Star Cruiser. Frey/Rey is also onboard (age 5) and Kylo would be 15. I think its possible this was a secret meeting involving Snoke. Probably had a few meetings with him on the ship that Cardinal set up. So technically yes, according to ‘Bloodline’ and General Leia, her darling boy at 23 or 24 was off with Luke somewhere in the Galaxy. But these meetings with Snoke were carried out in secret much prior to Kylo being 23 or 24 years old.
Wouldn’t this now fit with the cannon timeline? In the ‘Phasma’ novel we really don’t know if Kylo was a permanent resident onboard or not, we just assume this is the case. Like I said, Kylo could have been secretly visiting the star cruiser and meeting with Snoke. That’s probably why the book makes Kylo appear so familiar with Cardinal, Hux and Phasma. In a way they were all grooming him.
So Frey/Rey would be at least age 15 on Jakku when Kylo turned to the Dark Side.
October 29, 2017 at 7:23 pm #3765
Roger, RogerParticipantPoints: 6Rank: Jedi Padawan
While very likely Kylo’s fall to the dark side was a slowburn, I have a hard time believing that he was having secret meetings with Snoke nearly a full decade before his turn. The only way I can see that being possible is if Snoke was somewhat of a public figure that was known by the family and maybe even considered a friend.
It’s difficult, Snoke is said to be this ultra mysterious being that lurks in the shadows however the TFA novelization suggests Leia may have had some previous run-ins with Snoke, at the very least knew of his existence before Kylo turned. I guess with that in mind your theory still has some life yet.
You obviously have more knowledge of the Phasma novel than I do considering I haven’t read a single page from it, so maybe your theory isn’t as farfetched as it sounds. It just seems way too convoluted to me.October 29, 2017 at 8:43 pm #3766
Yes the theory is simple, however I do have a lot of “What if” scenarios in there. That said, I just found it all too “convenient” that Phasma and Rey never met up in TFA. Phasma did hear Rey’s name spoken once by Finn just before she was thrown into the trash compactor but Phasma didn’t react, why would she, Rey is not her original name, so it make sense to me why Phasma didn’t twig.
I guess the only way we’ll know for sure if my theory is correct is when they both finally meet up. I mean after all, how could Frey/Rey not recognize Gwendoline Christie’s powerful voice as her Aunt. 🙂October 30, 2017 at 9:50 pm #3782
I stand corrected, I went back into the ‘Phasma’ novel and found that there are indeed a couple of passages that infer Kylo Ren has already turned to the Dark Side and part of the First order.
As I’ve stated before, I think this book is a parallel time-line between ‘Bloodline’ and TFA, so I’m thinking Kylo had to be at least 25 years old at this point to turn. However, when Frey/Rey comes on board she is Five. The book indicates this event happened 10 years ago. In that case Kylo would have been 15, so now I’m thinking it’s highly unlikely that Rey/Frey and Kylo were on board together.
That said, Kylo was in league with Cardinal, Hux and Phasma, so he still could have easily found out that she was “truly special.” (the girl who lived, from Parnassos).
November 2, 2017 at 11:41 am #3826
PaulParticipantPoints: 33Rank: Jedi Knight
I like this theory because it ties perfectly into the Clan battle in the rain that we see in Rey’s Force vision. Pablo Hidalgo has said that the Warrior that moved to supposedly attack Rey was a Clan leader. However, a children’s book came out a while back saying it was a Jedi, so I am not sure which to believe. I wondered if Phasma was related to Rey some how. However, if Cardinal was behind this, why would Kylo be concerned and say “What Girl?” I don’t like theses Grandfather/distant relationship theories because they leave me still wondering who are the birth parents. I wondered if Phasma is actually Rey’s mother. If you check Star Wars Coffee on YouTube, he compares Rey’s face and life experience to the Skywalker family:Luke, Anakin,Padme, and Leia. The similarities are amazing and a lot of them work with Luke. I am just wondering how much Rey looks like Phasma.November 2, 2017 at 9:44 pm #3858
I’m glad you like my theory although it does have its pit-falls.
Yes indeed, why does Kylo say “What Girl?”
Well, I believe Captain Cardinal and Kylo were somewhat chummy before Phasma came aboard. So its possible, over time, Cardinal could have talked to Kylo a lot about Phasma’s “special” niece, after all Cardinal was the recruiting head. The Captain could have confided in Kylo at some point saying he stole her away from Phasma (trying to break her resolve) and he dropped FREY/REY off on Jakku, to be lost and forgotten about forever. (Remember, Cardinal was from Jakku). In this context, Kylo would already know about the girl living there.
That’s why he said “What Girl?” Kylo was shocked this could be the same girl that has resurfaced.
Another point I’d like to make about my theory is that I’ve heard Phasma will be a major player in the next two movies. So if Rey finally meets-up and recognizes her Aunt that would put Phasma “Right back in the mess.” (Quoting Mas).
Thoughts?November 2, 2017 at 9:46 pm #3859November 3, 2017 at 1:36 am #3862November 4, 2017 at 3:11 pm #3891
Two other points I’ve observed in TFA that fits my theory:
1. When Kylo finally meets up with Rey in the green forest, he says, “your the girl I’ve heard so much about.” Again, I have to stress here, Kylo was in close association with Cardinal, who originally “processed” Frey/Rey into the First Order at five. And if Cardinal confided in Kylo of his actions stealing Frey/Rey away off to Jakku, Kylo would indeed have heard so much about her.
2. When Kylo is interrogating Rey, he says to her, “You think of Han Solo as the father you never had [growing up].” This makes sense because Frey/Rey never knew her real father who I believe is Keldo. (Phasma’s brother, who was killed by sister).
Thoughts?November 4, 2017 at 11:08 pm #3916
PaulParticipantPoints: 33Rank: Jedi Knight
My only problem with your theory like I said before, is that Frey’s parents aren’t well known characters. For the casual fan, having to go to a book to discover Rey’s possibly off screen parents will not be as fun as her being the daughter of a character that we already know. Doing this would probably lose many fans. The trailers are also showing us that Phasma and Rey will not likely be facing each other in this movie.November 5, 2017 at 2:06 pm #3941
Yes, you bring up some good points Paul. However, I think Rey meeting with Phasma, could still happen in the third movie.
As far as Rey’s parents go, I take what JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson have said in the past to be true: JJ Abrams said himself, “Rey’s parents are not in Episode VII. So I can’t possibly say in this moment who they are”.
And Rian Johnson says “Rey’s parents really aren’t the key to the larger Star Wars universe.”
There you have it, straight from the directors.
Sorry Guys, but “this is not going to go the way you think.” (Luke)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.