Home Forums General Star Wars Discussion Are different lightsaber forms George Lucas Canon?

3 voices
3 replies
  • Author
    Creston
    Participant

A friend and I have been debating this questions…
    Do the Jedi’s of the first 6 movies actually have different lightsaber forms as portrayed in the movies? OR, were the authors and we as fans just create different “styles” to fit what we saw on the screen in the movies? I know legends goes into debt about saber forms, but did Lucas really intend for jedis and siths to be practicing different forms. For example Obi-wan to master Soresu? Thanks!!

The clone Wars and Rebels along with canon books or comics have name dropped the forms so yes they are canon although slightly altered.

Creston
    Participant

Thanks for the reply! Any idea if style influenced they way the Jedi and sith fought in the movies?

Jimmystarfan
    Participant

A good question. I agree with the above that they had different fighting styles but didn’t go into great detail about them. That’s probably where Legends picked up on them. All the Legends material I read prior to the prequel trilogy didn’t mention anything about forms, so this is quite a new thing.

George Lucas was very precise in how he wanted fight scenes to be choreographed so I imagine he might have made rough notes about different styles or forms. Also when legends material first started to come out in earnest, which saw a particular surge during the years the prequel trilogy showed, George Lucas apparently ‘vetted’ some books such as Darth Plagueis because it contained characters mentioned or featured in the films, so it’s entirely possible that he passed on this information to some Legends Authors + material for the visual guides.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.