Why Darth Vader Refused to Upgrade his Suit – Star Wars Explained
In today’s video, I go over a subject I dealt with six or seven months ago, but with new information plus some things I didn’t mention last time, namely why was it that Darth Vader straight up refused to have his armour upgraded?
As we all know, Darth Vader’s suit is basically a life support system and was essential to his survival following his battle with Obi-Wan Kenobi on Mustafar. But did you know that the suit was deliberately designed not only to hinder his movements, but to keep him in a state of constant agony?
Vader could have upgraded his armour on numerous occasions, both in legends and canon stories, but he didn’t. Being in perpetual pain enabled him to channel his anger into dark side power and raw aggression. Do you remember this quote from Count Dooku in Revenge of the Sith while he battled Anakin? “I sense great fear in you, Skywalker. You have hate, you have anger, but you don’t use them”. Dooku must have sensed the repressed rage and turmoil within Anakin. It would seem Vader’s armour brought these emotions to the surface and kept them there by keeping him in constant, physical pain.
- Current Price: $19.99
- Ends: Aug 11, 2018 21:57:57 UTC
Check out the video below for more details on the suit’s functions and feel free to comment either here, or over at the Star Wars Theory YouTube channel. You can also use the forums and chat box here on the website to discuss anything and everything Star Wars.
Darth Vader’s Armour. A few Random Facts:
- Serial Number: E-3778Q-1
- It incorporated Sith alchemy in it’s construction
- Created 19 BBY
- The helmet was polished with Woodoo hide by medical droids to hide surgical flaws from Darth Sidious
- Constructed using durasteel, obsidian and plasteel
- The cape was made from armorweave, a special cloth with the ability to defect blaster bolts. Often used by bounty hunters and underworld criminals
- The mask could utilise a pair of eye blast shields for use in star ship warfare
- The mask’s eye pieces contained a HUD that could enable Vader to see in complete darkness and hook into his TIE Advance’s computer
- Finally, just for fun, click HERE to listen to Darth Vader’s breathing
Thanks for all your support my Jedi and Sith friends, it means a lot and remember, MTFBWY, always!